Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Anniversary


It's a cold and rainy day today in London. Exactly 20 Years ago, on the 19th of May 1989, which happened to be a warm and sunny day, we left Soviet Union to come to Great Britain. We travelled to the airport in a cortege of 4 cars-all my grandparents and uncles and my best friend came to see us off. A dozen suitcases, everyone crying and my 3-year-old kid sister not understanding what was going on. 'Try to stay strong', one of my uncles said to me. We weren't leaving for good, at least we didn't think we were. I remember just feeling that something big was happening and being excited that i will finally have a taste of and maybe even get to know the whole other world, i've heard so much about. And i was scared, a little bit, because i didn't know how that world would react to me. I am crying right now. Why am i crying? Some sort of sadness I guess, that i can't even explain. 2 years later Soviet Union collapsed and we didn't go back. The country began to mutate and still hasn't stopped. These tears are for grandparents that are gone, for the friends i never see, for the chances this country and I have lost and wasted. But i will try to stay strong......

No comments: