Wednesday, October 29, 2008

WAR 08.08.08 The movie

Yesterday i was invited to a screening of a documentary film that was to reveal 'the truth of Georgia's attack on South Osetia'. It had almost a Hollywood name. 'War 08.08.08. The betrayal.'

Here is a link.

http://www.russia.ru

It was implied, of course, that it was Georgia's 'Big Brother' the US that was fully behind it. A cute joke was told about how America confused it's own state of Georgia with Georgia the country. Film was made on government cash and the presentation, judging by the pastries and fresh fruit before the screening and Osetian dishes we were invited to taste after the film, was also financed well.
The phrases in the film such as 'brutal killing of civilians' and 'genocide' made me cringe. After the screening the makers politely asked if there were any questions, expecting none. I raised my hand. 'Do you not think this film has striking similarities with films, alas not widely available, about the Chechen war?' I asked. The makers went pale. after a pause in response there was some mumbling by one of them and we were asked to proceed to the cafeteria. I chose not to push it. The glances i got told me i was now an enemy. Enemy or not I still had some food before I left )

No comments: