Thursday, June 11, 2009

Another scene

At the breakfast table. Man is in grey uniform.

Woman. Leave me some money.
Man. What for?
Woman. I need to buy shoes for the summer.
Man. What’s wrong with the ones you wore last year?
Woman. They are old.

Telephone rings. He jumps at the sound. She goes to answer it.

Woman. Hello? (Pause) Yes, one moment.

Hands him the receiver.

Man. (cautiously) Rojem Kinsky speaking. Hello? (listens with a confused face) What? (Pause) Right, yes. I don’t…Well…. Well, I do my best. Yes. Yes, thank you. That of course is not why…..Thank you. Yes. Goodbye.
Woman. What was that all about?
Man. (excitedly) They think I reported Sula!
Woman. But you didn’t right?
Man shakes his head. Goes up to the phone, picks up the receiver to ensure the other side did hung up. Drags his wife to the sink and lets water run.
Man. (whispers) But they think I did.
Woman walks back to the table and sits down to finish her breakfast.
Woman. (pouring herself tea) You must tell them.
Man. Shhh. You know what this means? I get a promotion and my own office so I don’t have to share with that mousy idiot anymore. And, you’ll like this one, we get a two-week vacation at a resort of our choice. I’m thinking the Blue Lake.
Woman. Who told them this? Sula himself?
Man. No, they said they’ve not been able to crack him on anything. They got it some other way.
Woman. He probably did it so that you will have a vacation. He knows how stingy you are. A good man. (weeps slightly)

No comments: