Friday, June 08, 2007

Chechenskoe Obshestvo

I was at the Frontline last nigth for Q and A session with Timur Aliev chief editor of the most liberal publication in Chechnya Chechen Society. I asked him a question which he kindly answered, and when it was all done came up to him. I said 'thank you' and he goes 'Thank you, for the play'. 'You know me?' He said 'Of course, you were on the front page of our paper'. A lovely man, very smart and brave. Answering my question one of the very interesting things he said was that young people in Chechnya actually genuinely look up to Ramzan Kadyrov and the claims by the rebels that young Chechens are joining their side in their hundreds is not true.

1 comment:

timur-aliev.livejournal.com said...

I wish to tell to you, and it not reciprocal courtesy - you - very beautiful and clever girl. Yours faithfully, Timur Aliev